Monday, July 25, 2011

Getting Lost? Or, More Outlining...

The summer brought hurdles with my boys and also within myself. After rewriting the chronological order of events--just writing it out again so it was neater and more tidy, which was a constructive exercise that yielded me a clearer image of the story--I began to seriously question whether I could write, or whether most anyone could write, in my situation as a stay at home mom with a baby and preschooler. The baby had some health issues that have taken three months, from one wellness visit to the next, for me to feel that we have him pretty much back on track. My older son needed more attention throughout this, too. Everyone needed more of everything during this time. However, today I am writing. So perhaps there is some hope or truth that while you may not always be able to write you won't never be able to write.

My personal hurdles have made me look differently at the story outline. There was a cliche in there that I think I am ready to let go. I've read some nice quotes from classic writers about writing the truth by avoiding the easy way out, e.g., not using a cliche to avoid writing about a situation that might be hard for the writer to confront and handle. But, also that the truth can be told in a variety of perspectives and contexts--that the truth is fundamental but the story is, after all, a story.

I am also considering altering the outline to make it more relevant and personal. I have many questions surrounding the direction I might go because it might conflict some with the original intent I had for this particular story. But it might also create more sparks that might get things moving more intensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment