Monday, April 25, 2011

Researching: Setting

I am researching the land and town that inspired the story concept and found that there had been an anthropological study of people and culture there, followed by a museum exhibition, in the early 80's (cue golden glow and singing angels). I feel that instead of guessing and dreaming up the culture there, that I can read/watch the materials prepared for public consumption and peruse through the bibliography. I even have a reason to try an inter-library loan. :) This is a great thing not just because it is nerdy entertainment, but it may lend some weight to the setting and create more value in the story. I have been thinking a little bit about value in stories or literature, together with fiction versus non-fiction (more on this some other time).

More people among friends and family have heard about this little aspiration of mine--leaked through other friends and family--and it makes me a little nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment