Thursday, March 10, 2011

Getting Organized

Today my eldest son started pre-school. I dropped him off and left quietly after watching from a distance to see that he wasn't totally freaking out. He wouldn't let go of Bear, but eventually started talking to the teacher and after circle time joined in the crafts. I think he will be OK. I, however, will have to come up to speed on being a teacher's aid for next month and participating on a committee and fundraiser before the school year ends. Maybe Dad can help out!

I have attempted a start to a story idea that I had been rolling around in my mind since last year. The free writing has already brought up multiple questions about the two characters that move to a very different environment than they have previously known.
  • Why are they in their new setting?
  • What possessed them to go there and why did they think it was a realistic or positive choice? (Of course, I'm going to use this new setting to provide external conflicts!)
  • Does this reflect on characteristics that they will grow past, or not really?
  • Who are these people and how do they see and feel about each other and themselves, and how will that change?
I also started reading From First Draft to Finished Novel by Karen S. Wiesner. I decided it may be more realistic to think of my start not as the opening chapter of a novel, but rather as a free write to explore the two main characters and immediate setting. I like Wiesner's structured approach and feel that I will have to somehow work parallel processes for structured work and creative work. This effort will probably split my mind uncomfortably in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment