Monday, March 21, 2011

Sketching

Sketching
Late last week, I started the following sketches and placed them in their tabbed sections:
  • character sketches for the two main characters (who are a couple)
  • general setting sketch
  • character-setting sketch, which is specific to the characters (e.g., their house)
  • general plot sketch (which is full of question marks!)
I'm considering whether it might be helpful to do a character sketch of either the house or the land, because I expect these elements to be catalysts at least at some points in the story.

The sketches, although rudimentary, brought up questions about the characters' background, the land, the history of their house, why they are where they are, etc., etc., etc. There are also questions about who lives around them and who those people are, the industry in the area and how that plays into my characters' lives, the jobs the characters have and the types of companies they work for, etc., etc., etc. And that is just the start. There are many more questions about what happens and how things will play out and re-solidify at the end. The list of questions seems like it could be endless.

Preparing to Research
Today, I started a list of research topics and items for myself. There seems to be so much that I don't know, even though I'm writing about a setting and characters that don't seem too far out of my experience and observation--well, perhaps the setting is further than I thought. I plan to start research on the computer, but can also think of a few people that I might be able to interview. I'm sort of looking forward to spending some time on the computer, perhaps because it seems like a safe, familiar haven where there will be information and answers instead of endless questions.

It is my strategy to do somewhat light work on the questions and research, so it doesn't bog down too much. I can go back later for more, in depth research, and I'm sure I will run into questions while writing and even while doing other research. Also, it seems like a good idea to let the act of writing explore some of the questions and point to the answers.

Temptation
Oh, and my boss has set out the carrot to see if I can be tempted to stay and work a little more. There are some things in favor of this, but ultimately I think I know deep down that working even part-time means that I won't get any, or hardly any, writing done. However, I would still have the time with the kids. At the least, though, I want to see things wrapped up a bit before I (hopefully) finagle a year leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment